Based in Beijing, China
Despite the fact that it can only burn for 10 seconds, a little candle decides to walk into the darkness, on a journey to seek the light.
A distinctive 3D platformer, Candleman’s action adventure gameplay uses the mechanics of light and shadow to tell an immersive story. Players take on the role of a lowly candle with the ability to burn for a meager 10 seconds. This power, though small, is Candleman’s only resource against the challenges and obstacles in the darkness ahead. Trapped in the darkness, Candleman must burn himself to illuminate the nearby environment and find the way out. A wide range of stunning environments provide the backdrop as players experience this unsettling yet intriguing adventure.
Candleman was created in August 2013 during the 48-hour Ludum Dare competition, a game jam themed with the topic “10 seconds.” The game's creator, Gao Ming, developed the initial prototype based on the idea of 10 seconds of light, receiving high praise and recognition in various categories at the event.Recognition on Kongregate
Having gained widespread recognition during Ludum Dare, Gao Ming was able to apply for studio support. Following this, the prototype game was accepted to be showcased by Kongregate. After receiving high acclaim from players, the game was promoted to the Kongregate front page, gaining additional positive feedback and attention.Latest progress
Six months later, Candleman was fortunate enough to be chosen by ID@Xbox, and afforded the opportunity to be published on Xbox One. As development continued, so did the narrative, and after several iterations, Candleman is nearing completion. Currently the studio is finalizing a full version of the game. Launched in 2016 for Chinese players, Candleman looks forward to a worldwide release in early 2017. The game will be ported to other platforms including PC, other consoles, and handheld devices in due course.
- Unique low-light game play
- Beautiful, dynamic lighting effects
- Challenging levels with a smooth difficulty curve
- Immersive fairytale that highlights everyday issues
Trailer 1 YouTube
Trailer 2 YouTube
There are far more images available, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "A beautiful, finely-tuned death trap."
- Alexa Ray Corriea @gamespot, The 8 Best Upcoming Games You've Never Heard Of
- "We need to help these studios ship globally."
- Phil Spencer, Tweet
- "Candle Man is game with unique low-light gameplay."
- Chris Charla Director of ID@Xbox, ID@Xbox Games Soar Into GDC
- "Without too much instruction, I had a good handle on how the game worked, and found myself playing through a lot of levels."
- Imad Khan @dailydot, Xbox shows off brilliant indie games at GDC
About Spotlightor Interactive
Spotlightor is an indie game studio based in Beijing, dedicated to creating innovative games, which provide unique experiences and meaningful insights.
More information on the developer, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Programming & Game Design
Art Director & UI Design
Level Designer & Animation
Narrative Design & Level Design